A 9-year-old student was suspended from school last week after eating candy infused with marijuana allegedly given to her by another student at school, sparking parent outrage.
In Klein, Texas, the mother of the 3rd-grade student received a phone call last Thursday from the Krahn Elementary School, saying her daughter was sick and throwing up.
Angela Rose, the girl’s mother, told Houston news channel KPRC, “I went to the nurse’s office, and I said, ‘What’s going on? What is causing her to throw up? Does she have a fever? Did she eat something?’ And she said, ‘No fever.’ They just said she threw up a lot in class.”
After taking her home, Rose said her daughter, Amiya, returned to school the next day feeling better. However, on Friday afternoon, Rose got a phone call from the Krahn Elementary principal.
“She said, ‘I was calling to let you know that Amiya had [eaten] some cannabis candy that had THC in it.’ I was like ‘What!'” Rose said.
According to KPRC, Amiya said that her friend offered her some sour gummy candy, and she ate a piece in the bathroom, having no idea that it was laced with marijuana.
“I wasn’t going to turn down candy,” Amiya told KPRC. Rose said she took her daughter to urgent care on Friday night after calling Child Protective Services (CPS), and the doctor told her she tested positive for marijuana metabolite.
Rose’s outrage was sparked even more after the elementary school told her that her daughter was receiving disciplinary action for eating the candy.
The Klein Independent School District said in a statement, “An investigation is underway regarding a student who appears to have intentionally ingested a substance brought to campus by another student. School administrators contacted all involved families to inform them of the incident, and student discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct is pending.”
“That’s what makes me so upset. She has to be reprimanded because she ate a piece of candy from a friend. No ma’am…No!” Rose told KPRC.
Rose stated that she plans to fight her daughter’s suspension and plans to confront the school.
Edible marijuana products appear to be making their way into classrooms more often. In October 2021, an elementary teacher was fired after leaving THC edibles in a prize box in her classroom for students to grab.
In December, another Texas parent discovered that his daughter and other students in the class were given THC-infused cupcakes to celebrate another student’s birthday.
More recently, THC-infused Goldfish crackers sent several toddlers to the emergency room and resulted in the arrest of a daycare owner in Virginia.
Newsweek reached out to the Krahn Elementary School for comment.